6.09.2008

I just get to work.

gold & black
New black oxide and gold pieces for Renegade.

When I started this blog about three years ago, I added this quote on the right side bar:

"Professionalism is way overrated. It is the spirit of the amateur that people in creative occupations--
in almost any occupation-- need to cultivate more than anything else. A couple of hundred years ago,
"amateur" was an entirely positive, noble description of someone. The word comes from the Latin
amator, which means "lover." An amateur undertaking was something you did out of love, for the
pleasure of doing it-- something you did out of passion. And when you think about it this whole
country was a nation created by passionate amateurs.

The American spirit is the amateur spirit."

-- Kurt Andersen, in "Ode to Amateurism"

But in January, I came across this post on Drawn that referenced a quote by Chuck Close and used the word "amateur" in a completely different way yet it spoke to me just as much as the first one did.

“Inspiration is for amateurs. I just get to work.”

This career that I've created for myself began with a great deal of passion; I fell in love with it. It was just so thrilling to be carving a place in the world. It is worth all the initial struggle. (Also, tons of fun telling people about what I do; they were so enamored by the prospect of self proprietorship, being your own boss, making it on one's own.)

pressed flower buttons
Pressed flower one inch buttons.


I do still love my job.

That being said, there are some days where you are simply tired. Having had enough of your own designs, sick of looking for outlets for your work and the expenses just seem to pile up higher and higher. Bookkeeping, accounting, looking for places to realize the designs you have on paper. It all becomes so tedious and frustrating. Small business owners, high five?

On those days, I just get to work.

gold & black

3 comments:

rena said...

i miss you so much. come SOON. and bring some of these pretty gold n black pieces too. xoxo r

Soapylove said...

Boy, you said it. I feel the same way. Lately I've been thinking of lots of things I'd like to make but haven't made any. I should try today. It can be very refreshing!

gina said...

I love that Chuck Close quote!